Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Quilting Maiden and Goat Girl

This is my finished quillow. It was quite easy to make, and I learned a lot about quilting in the process! It goes well on my bed and it is really warm at night (it's winter here).

it looks nice on my bed 
this is the back of the quillow. The inside of the pocket.
the front of the quilt
This is how to fold it so it fits into the pocket. 



Pulling the pocket inside out...


And there! Now it is a pillow! 
I hand embroidered the butterfly :) 
I don't have any instructions, as my sewing teacher showed me how to make it week to week. But Mum noticed that if you google 'making a quillow' there are lots of instructions on the internet! There are a few links HERE if anyone would like to make one too. 

Now to my goats! Keeping and raising goats is a family project for us. At the moment I am responsible for milking the dairy goats and feeding our two weak kids that needed a helping hand to get going. 

Here they are at 4 days old...Rebekah and Pip. When they were born neither of them could stand and we thought they wouldn't make it. Their mother had 5 kids! They are both very small, but we brought them into the laundry and started bottle feeding them and they are now doing really well. They are almost ready to go back in the paddock with their brother and sisters. Harmony, their mother, is happy to let them hang around but she won't let them feed so we will have to keep bottle feeding them for about 3 months. 
This is Harmony with her other 3 kids. 

and this is baby Rebekah thinking that my cheek is a teat! 

So far we have 14 kids...6 girls and 8 boys, and still have one doe to kid (which should happen tomorrow! Check my blog for updates!)

6 comments:

  1. Oh Bridget,
    You quillow is just beautiful! And I bet it would be great for long distance trips as well :D

    And your goats are too cute =)

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smiling, long distance Loni sais - Lone says bet she means Denmark then, beauty runs through your hands sweet lady far far away, nice colors your choosing! You are really into that pastel as your blog here. Smiling day 2 u and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, Bridget! Your butterfly is beutiful! Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of a quillow before! That looks very cool :)

    One day, I hope to live on a farm and own a few farm animals. I'm sure you get plenty of goat's milk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou everyone!Goats are a joy to our home and I love sewing. Mum wants me to make clothes for our family and William wants me to make him a army suit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of a quillow before! That looks very cool :)

    I like the scraps you chose :D
    As for the pillow part, that can come in very handy when it gets hot.And the goats are SO cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete